Monday, May 22, 2006

Pac Attack: Like Bad Heartburn, the 80s Won't Go Away


Pac Man: The Movie. That's right, the yeller feller gets his own movie in 2007. I bet you can't wait. I bet you're thinking what could go wrong with bringing another 80s classic to the silver screen. You'd be wrong. How much will it suck you ask? Let me count the ways

Firstly, rumors of a Pac Man movie inspire cable access punks and first-year film students to come up with this kind of crap.

Secondly, you know it will be 98% CG and that's just not a good sign of quality film. The rate of success among video game characters turned movie stars ranks somewhere in the single digits. VG geeks might be professing undying devotion for Angelina Jolie, but let's be real for a moment. Video games as movies are failures. Maybe it's because the so wonderfully digitized characters just don't work in the real world. And even when they do, the powers-that-be behind the flicks can't seem to get their feet off the ground.

Which is a shame because there are some VG movies near and dear to my heart. Even if some of the fans are not so much. And I wish I were alone in my thinking that this Pac Man thing is doomed.

But seriously how do these movies get made in the first place? How many other beloved 80's era licensed characters need to be corrupted before this madness stops?!

BUT, that's not to say that if they somehow manage to make Pac look cool it off. Don't get me wrong, I have just as much love for the yellow guy as everyone else. Frankly, I can't say his legacy is a total loss, there have been a few bright spots that have surfaced out there. (And a sequel that surpassed the original game). One parting thought and that's that costumes make the Pac Man. To the producers, if you're reading this--a bit of advice: keep it real and give this guy a call....

Wiki link.

UPDATE: Hal Haberman, the writer of the Pac Man movie, has a couple writing creds under his belt already. Including this aptly named title.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home